Edbrooke, S.W. 2001 An assessment of the geological stability of the Auckland tide gauge . Lower Hutt: Institute of Geological & Nuclear Sciences. Institute of Geological & Nuclear Sciences science report 2001/10 14 p.
Abstract: A tide gauge has operated at the Port of Auckland since 1895 and a continuous record of sea level is available from 1899. The present gauge is located at the Pilot Station on Captain Cook Wharf. It was previously located on Queen's Wharf from about 1913 until it was moved in 2000. Prior to about 1913 it was located on the old Devonport Ferry Wharf and possibly the former Queen Street Wharf. The Auckland port area in underlain by moderately hard, alternating sandstone and mudstone of the waitemata Group, which is covered by up to 12 m of unconsolidated tp soft coastal alluvium and harbour sediment. The Waitemata Group rocks provide a stable foundation in the port area. Most of the present port area has been reclaimed by staged fillig since 1859. A variety of fill materials was used, including Waitemata sandstone, volcanic debrois, and mud and sand dredged from the harbour. Fill, rarely more than 8 m thick, rests on harbour sediments and costal alluvium or directly on Waitemata Group rocks. Auckland City lies within a region of relatively low tectonic activity and has been stable for at least the last 120 000 years. (auth)